The next time you’re about to talk to a new mum about her newborn, take a moment to consider what you’re about to say.
According to a new study carried out by Channel Mum, which surveyed more than 2,000 participants, there are certain phrases that you should never, ever say to a new mother.
As motherhood can be stressful enough, especially for new or first-time mothers, criticism or backhanded comments from other mothers or family members can make this time harder, in addition to severely annoying new mums.
The full list of what not to say to new mums is below:
1. He’s a bit of a handful, isn’t he?
2. I would never let my child eat sugar
3. My little one slept 12 hours last night
4. Breast is definitely best
5. You spoil your child
6. Don't you feel bad going back to work?
7. I had all the cleaning and cooking done by 9am this morning
8. Giving a child an iPad is just lazy parenting
9. Oh, are they not walking yet?
10. I wouldn't let my child watch that much TV
11. You look tired, are the kids playing up?
12. I wouldn't dream of giving my child a dummy
13. Anything that starts with 'when my child was their age...'
14. I think he's just playing you up because you're his mum
15. My child will literally eat anything
16. Oh, are they not talking yet?
17. Oh, is she not sitting up yet?
18. The teacher says my child is Xx years ahead of his reading/writing age
19. Oh, didn't your child get invited to their party
20. I could never miss a school trip with my child
21. My child was dry at night well before the age of XX
22. My son wouldn't struggle with the words in that book
23. My child always eats their fruit and vegetables without a fight
24. I can't believe XX can count to 10 already
25. My child is already toilet trained
26. Well, he is very bright
27. You're very brave parenting that way...
28. I couldn't bring myself to buy a nativity costume, I'll hand-make mine
29. I don't hold my child like that
30. We always eat together as a family