A representational image
Child safety is the priority of every parent, but many parents are not aware of the everyday common items at home that may pose a danger to their children. Let's develop our knowledge with these seven shocking things that we are not aware of, but pose a huge threat to children.
Houseplants: As they freshen up our homes and improve indoor air quality by creating an atmosphere of verve, we are fond of buying various plants, appealing to the eyes. However, some may pose a threat to children. Beware, by checking online or in-store before bringing them home. Dieffenbachia and philodendron cause extreme pain and inflammation as they contain oxalates, microscopic crystals that are released when plant is chewed.
Second-hand toys: Second-hand toys is the solution to expensive baby gear, for most of us. However, beware that saving costs by buying hand-me-downs may compromise your child’s safety as they may not meet current safety standards. Always inspect items for damage or missing parts, to ensure safety of the toys.
Chemical BPA: Plastics may contain the industrial chemical, BPA found in food and drink packaging, DVD cases, etc. University of Exeter research reported 80 percent of teenagers with traces of BPA in their body. This can cause changes to oestrogen-responsive genes and regulation of hormones. So, try as much as possible to choose BPA-free products, like bottles, toys, food wrappers, etc.
Cleaning wipes: Children can mistake kitchen or bathroom wipes to be the harmless one used for nappy changes or facial cleansing. Children often mimic our actions, so make sure to not leave your wipes within reach.
Wall paint: Make sure to check whether the paint you are using on the wall contains VOCs (volatile organic compounds), which release toxic emissions into your home for years. They can cause health damage when inhaled, such as eye, nose and throat irritation, nausea and also cancer.
Mouthwash: Bright coloured mouthwashes can be attractive for a child and they can be mistaken with their relatively nice taste, deeming it to be a drink for them. If swallowed in large quantities, it causes internal damage.
Scented candles: Their vintage appearance and aura may lure you, but keep in mind that it can cause your child harm. Paraffin wax in scented candles gives off toxic carcinogens, benzene and toluene. Candles with natural waxes are recommended from the health point of view.