Two workers died and eight others fell sick after reportedly taking toxic chemical used for company purpose in BSCIC industrial area of Rajshahi city on Wednesday night.
The deceased are --Bakul, 36, son of Tafijul, and Touhid, 23, son of Yusuf, of Dayingpara village of Godagari upazila.
According to the BSCIC authorities, 10 workers of of Team Pharma took a bottle of toxic syrup used for factory purpose to the outside of the factory on Tuesday night and consumed it to get high.
However, one injured worker claimed said they fell sick after eating molasses along with bread served by the authorities of Team Pharma.
The factory authorities issued them a leave after they fell sick on Wednesday morning.
Later, their condition deteriorated further in the afternoon and the family members admitted them to Rajshahi Medical College Hospital (RMCH) where two workers died on Thursday morning.
Godagari Police Station Officer In-charge Hifjur Alam Munsi said: “Two workers died and eight are undergoing treatment at the RMCH. We are investigating the matter and will take necessary action once we get a formal complaint.”