New York prosecutors have filed a lawsuit against the Weinstein Company, alleging that the studio failed to protect staff from Harvey Weinstein.
The film producer is facing dozens of allegations of sexual abuse, including rape, but denies non-consensual sex.
The lawsuit alleges Mr Weinstein abused female employees and made verbal threats to kill staff members.
A lawyer for Mr Weinstein said a "fair investigation" would show that many of the allegations were without merit.
The Weinstein Company is yet to comment.
New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said on Sunday that he had filed the suit against the Weinstein Company, as well as Mr Weinstein and his brother Robert, who co-founded the studio.
He is seeking an unspecified sum to cover damages, plus penalties, for victims of alleged abuse by Harvey Weinstein, 65.
The document alleges that Mr Weinstein sexually harassed and abused women employed by the studio for years.
It accuses senior executives at the company, including Robert Weinstein, of failing to prevent the mistreatment of staff despite being presented with evidence.
In October last year, The New York Times published a story detailing decades of allegations of sexual harassment against Mr Weinstein.
Since then more than 50 women, among them some of the biggest names in Hollywood, have accused the film producer of sexual assault, harassment, abuse and rape.
In the wake of the allegations, Mr Weinstein was sacked by the board of his company.
He is under investigation by UK and US police but no charges have been brought.
Weinstein, who was once among the most powerful men in Hollywood, has admitted that his behaviour has "caused a lot of pain" but has described many of the allegations against him as "patently false".